Welcome to your child’s Reception year at St. George & St. Martin’s Catholic Academy.
I am really looking forward to teaching your child and working with you again this year to provide your child with a fantastic Reception Year.
All children have made a fantastic start to the year already, showing us that they are truly ready to learn and eager develop in their academic ability, I am very proud and happy at how much work they are all completing and if they are finding it challenging, they are willing to ask for help and still give things a try. I couldn’t ask for anymore.
Our topic this term is ‘My World and Beyond’, which will be taught through the areas of learning: Religious Education, Communication and Language, Physical Development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design.
In RE, we will be learning about Creation, People who care for us, People who help us, Harvest, Advent and Christmas.
Here are just some of the many activities that the children will be involved in during the next term:
- Learning new rhymes and poems
- Sequencing stories
- Beginning to write words and captions using phonics to form sentences
- Artwork about ourselves and our families
- Learning about our class artist ‘Kandinsky’
- Creation Collages
- People who help us crafts
- Junk modelling
- Working with a variety of media and materials
- Space crafts
- Matching and sorting with criteria
- Comparing amounts
- Comparing size, mass and capacity
- Exploring pattern
- Positional language
- One more and one less
- Discussing people who help us and their role in society
- Healthy eating and food choices
- Exploring the season of autumn
- Exploring our local area and where we live. What is Stoke– on Trent famous for?
- Special events and celebrations including Diwali and Bonfire Night
- Exploring Space
We will also be reading lots of stories by our class author Roger Hargreaves, as well as lots of stories, poems and non-fiction books about our world and space.