Welcome back to the start of a new academic year at St. George & St. Martin’s Catholic Academy. We are so happy to welcome everyone back. We are thoroughly looking forward to teaching a new class, getting to know your children, and supporting them in making strides in their learning. Here is more information about what is going on in the classroom and what the children will be learning.
The Autumn Term is always a busy one, but we will be starting in our local area. We will be exploring houses and homes, both past and present. This will be compared to London, learning about famous people from these special places and some special events.
Here is a taster of just some of the things the Busy Bees in Year 1 will be doing!
- Using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops to write sentences to retell stories.
- Listening to and reading stories by our class author Julia Donaldson and using these as a basis for writing our own stories.
- Comparing and ordering numbers, counting, and writing numbers beyond 20 and tackling addition and subtraction problems.
- We will learn about Creation, Celebrations, Prayers and Advent
- Our class saint is Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta who is known for her humble works of love, caring for the poor and needy.
- Other Faith: Judaism – Festivals
- Explore maps of the local area and the UK.
- Learn about the Great Fire of London.
- Learn about different everyday materials, their properties and uses.
Art and D&T
- Our class artist is Paul Klee: “A line is a dot that went for a walk.”
- Become inspired by a range of artwork and design and make models of houses.
- Digital literacy/ E-Safety : Use technology safely.