Welcome back to the start of a new school year! We are looking forward to a fantastic first term in Year 2. There are lots of exciting things to learn within our curriculum. Below is a taster of some of the learning that will take place over the coming months in each subject…
In English we will be reading a variety of texts and will explore different genres of writing:
- Nonsense Poetry
- Character Descriptions
- Traditional Stories
- Classic poetry
A large focus will be on Handwriting, Punctuation, Grammar and Vocabulary.
Our class author is Judith Kerr and we will enjoy reading a selection of her books this term.
In our exciting Maths lessons we will be learning:
Place Value: Numbers to 100
Number: Addition and Subtraction
Number: Multiplication and Division
Geometry: Properties of shape
In RE we will grow closer to God through the themes of:
- Old Testament stories and Prayers.
- Sharing in the life of Jesus
- Parables and Miracles
We will be learning about our class saint- Saint Francis of Assisi
Science lessons will be focused on Living things and their Habitats.
We will learn about the:
- Comparison of things which are living, dead or have never been alive.
- Habitats and Microhabitats.
- World Habitats
- Food Chains
- Classification of animals including rainforest and polar animals.
- Ocean Habitats
- Water Pollution
- Endangered Animals.
In History we will be focusing on the great explorers.
We will learn about
- Christopher Columbus
- Neil Armstrong
- Amelia Earhart
- Captain Edward John Smith
Geography lessons this term will focus on:
- UK Capital Cities
- Human and Physical features e.g., Coast, Mountains
- World- 7 Continents & 5 Oceans
In Art lessons the children will:
- Observe the work of our class artist Clarice Cliff.
- Know how to mix paint to create all the secondary colours
- Create tints with paint by adding white and know how to create tones with paint by adding black.
Our class artist is Clarice Cliff and we will be looking at different pieces of her artwork.
In Design and Technology, the children will be making a product with mechanical moving wheels. We will design, make and evaluate a moving vehicle and be able to suggest improvements which could be made to the original design.
We will also design and make a food product e.g. sangria / pizza.
We will focus on skills of:
- Cutting food safely
- Weighing ingredients
- Fine Motor skills
In our P.E. lessons we will:
- Understand the importance of health-related exercise.
- Create and perform a 4-part routine set to music in dance.
- Work to improve the FUNdamentals of movement (Jog, Sprint, Jump, Hop, Weight on Hands, Balance & Coordination).
- Practise swimming skills.
Our Class Olympic hero is Max Whitlock. We will be learning all about his journey in gymnastics.